16 Aug CALL FOR ARTISTS: Postcard Mural in Old Town Fairfax- $8000
CALL FOR ARTISTS: Postcard Mural in Old Town Fairfax
City of Fairfax, VA
Submittal Deadline: Friday, September 17, 2021 – 4 PM
The City of Fairfax Public Art Program and the Fairfax City Economic Development Authority announce a Call for Artists’ Designs for a postcard mural on the side of Drapers in Old Town Fairfax.
Draper’s, operated by Parry Restaurant Group, plans to open in a newly constructed public building in mid-2021. The building sits on land owned by the City’s Economic Development Authority and formerly was the site of the historic red barn building. The site is located in the central historic block of Old Town Fairfax. The new restaurant hopes to leverage its location adjacent to Old Town Square – the cultural and social heart of Fairfax City – by creating a welcoming and casual atmosphere where people can come together and share good food and drinks. In addition to this, the restaurant, and Economic Development Authority, hopes to leverage space on the backside of the building with a mural that inspires people to visit Fairfax and to engage with the artwork.
The deadline for all submissions in response to this call is 4 pm on Friday, September 17, 2021.
This call is open to all mural artists, preference is given to those living in Northern Virginia. Submitted designs must be original artwork.
Juried Selection Process
A jury/selection panel will review all proposals. Panelists will be representatives from the following, the Commission on the Arts Public Art Committee, Parry Restaurant Group, Fairfax City Economic Development Authority, and staff of Fairfax City.
The panel will use the following criteria:
- Artistic merit and graphic strength of the proposed design;
- Contribution to the aesthetic and cultural atmosphere of the city of Fairfaxand the historic nature of Old Town;
- Appropriateness of subject and concept for public space;
- Completeness of the submission as outlined in this announcement.Artwork will be deemed inappropriate which portrays: content that violates copyright or other known legal ownership interest, profanity, obscenity, indecency, violence, pornography; discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or nationality; defamation or personal attacks.
On the east façade of the new Drapers Building in Old Town Fairfax off of Old Lee Hwy (3936 Old Lee Hwy). The Postcard mural will be 13’ by 11’ (WxH). Painted on brick (Bradford Hall Tudor by General Shale).
The mural will last 10 years.
The selected artist/artist team will be awarded $8,000 for their design concept/paint/supplies needed to execute the project. The Fairfax City Economic Development Authority (EDA) will own the copyrights and enjoy the unlimited, licensed use of the selected designs for program purposes. The EDA will not profit from the use of images of the art.
Please e-mail all application materials to Megan DuBois. Megan.Dubois@fairfaxva.gov If you have graphic questions, please ask!
Respondents should submit the following materials by 4 pm on Friday, September 17, 2021
- Artist/Team Name, Point of Contact Name, Mailing Address, Telephone Number, Email Address, and Website.
- One-Page Statement of Interest briefly addressing the concept, design, and how you approached this project.
- One-page résumé or curriculum vitae
- Annotated List of Images: Please include the artist’s name as aheading, and a brief description of each image, including title and original medium.
- Design Proposal. Designs must be submitted as a high-quality image file in web- quality JPG file.
Submission Guidelines and Design Considerations:
- Submitted designs must showcase original artwork.
- The art may be a new original piece or an existing work of the artist and may not beon display in other public art programs (not including ongoing gallery exhibitions.
- The selection committee would like the mural to depict a postcard celebrating Old Town Fairfax full of open interpretation and creativity to make a lasting impression on residents and visitors.
- Designs that incorporate commercial advertisement will not be considered. Please inquire if in doubt.
August 13, 2021
September 17, 2021
Week of September 27, 2021, Oct 13, 2021
Announcement of Call to Artists/RFP Response from Artists due by 4:00 pm EST Selection Committee Reviews Proposals Selected Artist Contacted
The City of Fairfax reserves the right to delay or reschedule the conduct of, cancel, or reissue this Call for Artists for any reason it deems fit or necessary.
Applicants will be advised in the event of a delay, cancellation, or reissuance.
The City of Fairfax does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. veteran, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Direct all questions and comments to:
Megan DuBois, Cultural Arts Manager, City of Fairfax Public Art Program, 703-273-6097, Megan.DuBois@fairfaxva.gov